Despite Mayor Durkan’s latest attempt to fire Police Chief Carmen Best — a foiled, temperamental effort that ultimately led to the abandonment of the East Precinct — the two are teaming up to weaponize the consent decree in an effort to dodge any sort of ethical standards or responsibility.
In an attempt to make sense of the Mayor’s persistent lies regarding the consent decree, here’s a brief timelines of events showcasing her shifting position and indecisiveness.
- May 22nd, 2019: Judge overseeing Seattle police reforms orders oversight fix
- January 6th, 2020: Seattle hasn’t fulfilled judge’s request for police-accountability remedies, watchdog panel say
- May 8th, 2020: City Seeks End to Consent Decree
- July 15, 2020: Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan asks judge to reconsider recall decision, says she has no duty to dictate police policy
- July 18, 2020: Durkan, Best say Seattle City Council’s ban on police ‘crowd-control weapons’ conflicts with consent decree
We know it wasn’t, Carmen.